Saturday, July 12, 2008

Para sobrevivir

Thursday morning I was at my parents house to help my mom with some errands, and (remarkably) saw something wonderful on TV (it might be more remarkable that I saw something uplifting on the news). While I was eating my Raisin Bran, Matt Lauer introduced an interview with Ingrid Betancourt. It caught my attention, since I'd been following her release in the news.

(If you didn't know about it, Betancourt is a French-Colombian who'd been involved in Colombian politics until she was taken hostage by FARC rebels (Fuerzas Armadas Revolucionarias de Colombia) six years ago. Obviously she was tortured, etc. She was released in an unexpectedly non-violent and sucessful airlift by the French last week).

It was an impressive interview.

Ann Curry did the interview, and she asked her questions with the requisite saccharine journalistic tone, and asked Betancourt what they did to her. She simply said she wasn't ready to talk about it.

When asked "What kept you alive?", she had a beautiful, perfect, one-word response:

"God."

The way she said it, there was no doubt she meant it.

Curry asked her if she felt "anger, hate, vengeance" toward FARC, and Betancourt responded with a quiet but firm "no, no, no. . .Vengeance is a chain. I don't want to be chained to that jungle. . .There's no room for hate or revenge. I could have compassion for them. . .for me it's very important to forgive. I think it's something makes you more human, makes you a better person.

Wow. I'm impressed. Impressed, touched, inspired. How different things would be if all our world leaders could harbor such sentiments.

If you'd like to watch the whole interview, the link is below. I highly recommend it. Add something edifying to your day.

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=msnbc&vid=fd7348ca-1baf-4795-aa1d-8b8a3cbab16c

----------

And Jane, I haven't forgotten you. In response: I'm not letting out a peep about what I'm writing, other that to say that it will likely take shape as a novel. I've become a bit paranoid about my intellectual property of late. Don't worry, I'll let you know (if) when I get a publication contract.

Additionally, you're right about the lyrics to the anthem, and for the record I know it has three verses (thank you, hymnal!). It's just that we usually only sing/hear the first verse. And you're also right about the only way to get there.

----------

My final word: watch the Betancourt interview. If you get choked up I'll take the blame. Lola has a new name on the Heroes list.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

That was pretty awesome. I am also amazed.

By the way, you'll remember your friends who are professional editors in this conviction that you won't show your writing to anybody, right? ;o)

Rocketgirl said...

Haven't watched the viod yet, but just reading your entry I gots the goosebumps. What an amazing view. SHe needs to have a crapload of babies and spread that positivity around. Or maybe I should and teach them about. Or wait, I could donate to that Children's fun on TV that feed kids in Africa! Okay, that's easier.

Jane said...

How totally right you are about our world leaders (and any other people) having such feelings. Forgiveness is a huge deal, so easy and means so much and so few have it.