Sunday, April 5, 2009

¿Por qué no la compartes?

Mexicans must think I am the stingiest person in town.

Silly norteamericana that I am, I assume that my neighbors prefer that I keep it down. That’s how it is at home, right? I shut the windows and keep the volume at what I think is a reasonable level.

Not my neighbors. When they put on some music, they open the windows and crank it so high that the already dissonant strains of banda are further distorted—the volume at which both bass and treble buzz. Unfortunately, buildings here are not typically insulated against either weather or sound, and so it comes right through the walls. And it goes late into the night, even on weeknights. Businesses do this, too, so that when you drive past the music rattles your wheels and your teeth. It certainly gets my attention.

I am dubious that it has ever crossed their minds that there exists a person such as I who cannot stand banda or norteña, because it seems to be universally adored in these parts. How on earth could someone not love this music? If you want to try it out yourself, search “Los Tigres del Norte” or “Alicia Villareal” on youtube and you will not only hear it, but be dazzled by the costumes that I, in my close-mindedness, have deemed ridiculous. (Parenthetically, if you want to see some scary-tight mariachi pants, look for Alejandro Fernández and you’ll get some cheesy ballads out of it, too).

So now I feel stingy, because I don’t share. In fairness, I’m afraid that if my music competes with theirs an ugly volume war will break out. I have memories of this from my freshman year in the dorms. Would they mind, though? Maybe it’s unfair to say this, but banda and norteña are already so cacophonous to my ear that it might not make a difference. Sure, add more sound! they might tell me. Let’s all bring something to share! It's a bad musical potluck where the flavors of all the dishes clash. I don’t, though. Out of shyness and a desire not to offend my neighbors (without really knowing that it would offend them), I keep my music to myself.

I am beginning to suspect that ¡sube la radio! is as important in north Mexican culture as ¡Viva Villa!.

2 comments:

Jane said...

Ah yes, the genre of music that is so incomprehensible to my un-musical ears that all I hear is the acordian's cousin, over and over and over, ALL NIGHT LONG. And bless you for not starting a volume war. Take it from one who knows, the house in the middle of the two is not a comfortable place to be.

Trisha said...

Apparently those that have relocated here to CO still feel the same. Especially when they have brought their music to the public park and play it loud enough for everyone to hear. Just lovely for those of us who actually go to the park to enjoy a peaceful day.