Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Tres años

Today is my third wedding anniversary. I can't believe it's been that long. Then again, I've gotten to the point that some days I feel like we've always been together, that my life before my husband is vague and somehow less significant. I know that isn't true, because I had 29 years of mostly good and certainly jam-packed life before 12 November 2005. Sometimes I forget that he wasn't around for all of that, and I half-expect him to remember things that happened before we met.

Of course, this doesn't change our present geography. He's off in Mexico working at his new job, and I'm here in Colorado doing mine. I just finished teaching for the day, and am settling down for a day of extracting tokens from a corpus of spoken English. I suppose that's a sign that we're used to this marriage thing-- it's a special day, but it's still a day like any other in that we still have work to do and can't slow down except for a moment to say "I love you, and it's been a great three years so far".

Lola occasionally resents these reminders of responsible adulthood.

4 comments:

Rocketgirl said...

It's so strange the process of acceptance I've had with marriage - there's the shock that hits me less frequently than the first year where all of a sudden I stop and think "Holy crap I'm MARRIED??" This still happens to me about being a mother. But now the always-been-together is kind of comforting, although I wonder who I used to be since I can't remember that far back anymore...

Oh to heck with my brian - congratulations!!! I'm more amazed than anyone that a person like your husband existed out there for you - and I'm so thankful he found you and continues to be perfect for you:)

Jane said...

Don't we all sometimes "resent these reminders of responsible adulthood."
It's tough being far away from the man, especially on a special day as this. I can only imagine what he has planned the day you're reunited. I'll watch the southern sky for fireworks!!
Happy Anniversary.

Borland family said...

WoW! 3years!Congrautlations!

Peter Fillerup said...

Wow, it has been three years. Que increible! It seems like just yesterday, but at the same time, it does seem like you've been together for centuries. Let's face it, you two are an old married couple. An old, albeit fun, married couple.
Felicitaciones!