Tuesday, November 4, 2008

¡¡ÉXITO!!

So, I know it may not seem like a big deal to some people, but I PASSED MY ORAL EXAMS THIS AFTERNOON and now the only things standing between me and those two blessed letters M and A after my name are five more weeks of classes, two half-written term projects and a cakewalk French-translation exam. The biggest, most stress-inducing portion is behind me, and I passed. I did it. I am not an idiot, and that has been verified by by three very bright and highly overqualified professors of mine, one of whom is one of the most influential minds in the field. All of this busting my ass, lack of sleep, and further ruination of my eyesight over the last two and a half years has been validated. I learned stuff, I can analyze it and articulate my analysis. I'm not knocking other kinds of work, but to anyone who thinks that life in academia is cushy or that we don't appreciate the meaning of hard work, you haven't been here. This is at least as hard as any other job, and the climb up the ladder is at least as grueling.

Forgive my narcissism when I say I'm smart and proud of my big accomplishment. Today I feel justified in telling the world.

Magister Lola is comtemplating how to celebrate.

3 comments:

Rocketgirl said...

HORRAY HORRAY!!!!!!!!! If I was in your neck of the woods I would soooo play with you tonight. I can't help but think of how dark things got in the middle of this whole academic thingamajig and remember how I TOLD YOU you would rock it. Heh, you thought i was gonna say something deep, huh? Not here - just YAY!!!!!!!!

Jane said...

YAY LOLA! We never lost faith in you over here, so it's good to know we aren't stupid either! :)
Congratulations!

Selvoy said...

Congratulations. I'm very proud of you.