Friday, May 11, 2012

Los días nevados, leemos

I woke up to more snow again today. I despair that it's going to be summer (by the calendar) before something resembling spring shows its face up here. The sunlight is something else, though-- even now it's light (if cloudy) until about 11:15 or so.

So what do we do trapped inside on these long snowy days? Well, we write, we read, and if it's a good day LittleBit naps well. Mostly we write and we read. I've read quite a bit since we arrived in Alaska. Right now I'm reading The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. I'm about a quarter of the way through it, and I'm really enjoying it. Faulkner-esque, but funnier. A biting, dark humor but funny nonetheless. And in response to Jane (and yes, blogger is eating your comments-- I can read them but I can't publish them), I'm reading a little bit of light stuff, but mostly real literature, because I'm a dork that way. I did read the Hunger Games trilogy about six months ago and enjoyed them tremendously, but I read them quickly enough that I didn't feel guilty about time lost or wasted. Of course, we also read lots of board books, but those are never time lost, no matter how simple. We read them over and over again and I have most of them memorized, but we read them again anyway.

And with that, LittleBit is ready for another story.

No comments: