Monday, April 30, 2012

La «primavera» alasqueño

It's the last day of April. Tomorrow is MayDay. At lower latitudes, all is green and fair and in bloom, and it's been that way for several weeks now. Up here just south of the Arctic Circle, however, everything is grey, icy, and dusty, and on the last day of April a cold wind was blowing that made it too uncomfortable to take Little Bit for a stroll to the library. Sigh. Perhaps tomorrow. Our day inside wasn't so bad, just long, since LittleBit's cumulative nap time-- morning and afternoon naps combined-- was just over an hour. Maybe he'll sleep earlier and longer tonight.

We've had a pleasant evening, though. We actually got a chance to go out. One of Esquire's coworkers is here in town on a temporary fill-in for the week, and after they got off work we all bundled up (LittleBit most of all) and walked a walk and a half over to a pizzeria. Wasn't earth-shatteringly good pizza or anything, but the company was really nice and it was pleasant to spend a couple of hours out with some company. Esq's coworker is really nice, and did her first couple of years here in Bethel, too (she's in Anchorage, now). She has a good sense of humor about Bethel and is very down to earth. In addition to being an attorney, she's an aspiring writer who recently finished a manuscript of a crime thriller. Oooh! So, in addition to the other things I'm reading this week, I'll be reading her manuscript, too. I'm excited for it. I hope she sends it tomorrow.

I have been reading a lot, even while care for an unenthusiastic napper. Last night I finished A Passage to India, and today I read Gathering Blue (my old book club read The Giver a few months ago). Esq bought me a Kindle as we were leaving town to drive up here, and I'm so glad to have it. I'd be going mad without books up here. I especially love that I can download public domain texts for free. So happy. So, with not much else to do up here, I'm spending a good amount of time reading, and am finally feeling motivated to do some writing, too. I just needed a little face time with another writer to get my juices going.

1 comment:

Master P said...

This sounds just lovely. I'm glad you got a night out and I can't wait to see what your creative juices come up with! If you read any books you think I could manage, let me know :)